News: A high-level summit was held between the defense ministers of the two countries to exchange classified information. Read the news here.
Let’s Understand In Simple Language:
India and the United States of America have agreed to establish an Indo-US Industrial Security Joint Working Group. The background of which was laid out by signing the Industrial Security Annex (ISA) which was signed during the India-U.S. 2+2 ministerial dialogue in December 2019.
This group (the Industrial Security Joint Working Group) will meet at regular intervals to share information and collaborate on cutting-edge defense technologies. This sharing of classified information was agreed upon during the Industrial Security Agreement (ISA) summit held in October 2021.
The Industrial Security Agreement (ISA) was signed in December 2019 at the second 2+2 dialogue in Washington in order to facilitate the exchange of classified information between the defense industries of India and the USA.
Following Developments took place in the Summit:
- Industrial Security Annex (ISA): The Industrial Security Annex (ISA) to the India-U.S. General Security of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA) will provide a framework for exchange and protection of classified military information.
- Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI): United States has announced its commitment to being the founding member of the CDRI whose headquarters will be located in India.
- Finalisation of Defense Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) Standard Operating Procedure (SOP): This will harmonise the two side’s processes for identification, development and execution of projects under the DTTI.
- S&T Agreement: The new Science and Technology (S&T) Agreement replaces the 2005 Agreement and provides a framework for collaboration between the two countries in all fields of science, technology and innovation.
- The Young Innovators Internship Programme (YIIP): The YIIP will create short-term internship opportunities in the USA. for Indian students at post-secondary level or recent graduates, in key areas of scientific and economic endeavour.
- Tiger Triumph Exercise: It has been decided to hold the India-U.S. joint tri-services and amphibious exercise ‘Tiger Triumph’ on an annual basis.
- Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA): Both countries have agreed to continue discussions on BECA. It will enable exchange of geo-spatial information between the two countries, enhancing the operational efficiency of the U.S. platforms currently being operated by India.
- MRO facilities in India: In line with GOI’s efforts to build defence industry ecosystem in India, both countries have agreed to explore collaboration for establishment of Maintenance Repair and Overhaul (MRO) facilities in India.
Questions related to the topic:
Q. LEMOA (Logistics Exchange Memorandum Of Agreement) between India and the United States is a :
A. Military Agreement
B. Economic Agreement
C. Environmental Agreement
D. Agreement on the sharing of goods
Ans – A
Q. Which of the following agreement/agreements is/are signed by India and the United States of America (USA)?
- General Security of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA).
- Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA).
- Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-spatial Cooperation (BECA).
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
A. 1 only
B. 1 and 2 only
C. 2 only
D. 1, 2 and 3
Q. What is true about BECA (Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement).
1. It is a geospatial agreement for intelligence, and sharing information on maps and satellite images for defense.
2. It was signed between India and Israel.
3. It will provide the Indian Military Systems with a high-quality GPS to navigate missiles with real-time intelligence to precisely hit the target.
Which of the above statements is correct:
A. 1 and 2
B. 1 and 3
C. All of the above
D. 2 and 3
Ans – B
Q. Consider the following statements about COMCASA (Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement)
1. COMCASA was signed between India and the United States of America.
2. Signed in September 2018, it is the Indian-specific version of the Communications Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) and is valid for 10 years.
3. Along with communications, COMCASA also promotes energy conservations and environmental efforts.
which of the above is correct:
A. All of the above
B. 1 and 2
C. 1 and 3
D. 2 and 3
Ans – B
More on this website for your UPSC Preparation:
INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS: https://currentaffairsupsc.in/international-relations/
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY: https://currentaffairsupsc.in/science-technology/
ENVIRONMENT & ECO.: https://currentaffairsupsc.in/environment-ecology-and-biodiversity/